BRUGES (Brugge)
 

  Picture: the Poortersloge  


  start  > english > europe > belgium > bruges > monuments > poortersloge
 

Eating

Sleeping facilities

Going out in Bruges

Fixed events

Beguinage
Belfry and halls
Chapel of the Holy Blood
Court of the Princes
Dunes abbey
Guild houses of Bruges
Hospices of Bruges
Jerusalem church
Nation houses
Our Ladies church
Poortersloge
St-Anna's church
St-Donatian's cathedral
St-John's hospital
St-Saviour's cathedral
Town gates
Town hall
Windmills of Bruges
Complete overview...

Archeology museum
Brangwyn museum
Brewery museum
Chocolate museum
Diamant museum
Folklore museum
Frites museum
Groeninghe museum
Guido Gezelle museum
Halve Maan
Lace museum
Lamps museum
Memling museum
Museum of Fine Arts
Salvador Dali museum
St-Janshuismill
St-John's hospital
Complete overview...


Boterhuis
Boudewijn Seapark
Burg
Canals (Reien)
Coupure
De Garre
Grote Markt
Historium
Huidevettersplein
Jan Van Eyckplein
Lake of Love (Minnewater)
Rozenhoedkaai
Simon Stevinplein
't Zand
Complete overview...
 

 

The Poortersloge

General. The Poortersloge is the most remarkable building on the Jan van Eycksquare.  It has a slender tower and its facade is adorned with several statues, under which "het beertje van de loge" (the bear of the loggia).

Brief history.  The Poortersloge was built at the end of the 14th and beginning of the 15th century in the commercial heart of Bruges.  This side of Bruges was the area where the international trade took place, ships were loaded and unloaded.  In the immediate vicinity were the nationhouses of the most important trading partners and next door was the toll house, where goods had to cleared and tax was levied.  The Poortersloge was the place where the "important" citizens (poorters) had their meetings and where they received their trading partners.  It was also the seat of the "Genootschap van de Witte Beer" (the Society of the White Bear).  The statue of the Bear of the Loggia reminds of that society (see the facade at the corner of the Academiestraat).

A fire ravaged the building in 1755 after which it was restored, a cartouche in the facade reminds of that incident.  It was restored at the end of the 18th century, giving the Poortersloge back its original medieval appearance.  From 1720 it served as academy for Fine Arts, from 1912 till 2012 it was used for the National Archives.  In 2014 the town of Bruges bought it back from the state.

 Location: Academiestraat 18

Picture 1: The bear of the loggia ("Beertje van de Loge")
Picture 2: The Poortersloge seen from the Jan Van Eyckplein


getting to Bruges
transport, tours, links,...


 

xplorengo.com. Information is provided from the location and various sources, we do not hold any responsibility with regard to information provided by others.  xplorengo is not a travel agency and does not promote or organize trips we therefore hold no responsibility with regard to third parties that promote their services via us.  No information or pictures can be copied or distributed in any way without written permission of xplorengo.com.  All pictures are made and copyrighted by Hendrik De Leyn unless mentioned otherwise [Contact information].