BRUGES (Brugge)
 

  Picture: the Markt in Bruges  


  start  > english > europe > belgium > bruges > other > markt
 

Eating

Sleeping facilities

Going out in Bruges

Fixed events

Beguinage
Belfry and halls
Chapel of the Holy Blood
Court of the Princes
Dunes abbey
Guild houses of Bruges
Hospices of Bruges
Jerusalem church
Nation houses
Our Ladies church
Poortersloge
St-Anna's church
St-Donatian's cathedral
St-John's hospital
St-Saviour's cathedral
Town gates
Town hall
Windmills of Bruges
Complete overview...

Archeology museum
Brangwyn museum
Brewery museum
Chocolate museum
Diamant museum
Folklore museum
Frites museum
Groeninghe museum
Guido Gezelle museum
Halve Maan
Lace museum
Lamps museum
Memling museum
Museum of Fine Arts
Salvador Dali museum
St-Janshuismill
St-John's hospital
Complete overview...


Boterhuis
Boudewijn Seapark
Burg
Canals (Reien)
Coupure
De Garre
Grote Markt
Historium
Huidevettersplein
Jan Van Eyckplein
Lake of Love (Minnewater)
Rozenhoedkaai
Simon Stevinplein
't Zand
Complete overview...

 

The Markt of Bruges

The Markt has been the commercial center of the town and actually it partly still is.  There still is a market on the square every Wednesday morning.  The Markt is largely pedestrianized and is used for a number of different events.  During the Christmas market for example, a big ice skating ring is placed here.

The most known building is the cloth hall with its belfry tower, that was built around 1240 [more information on the belfry].  Because the cloth hall had become too small, in 1284 a second hall was constructed: the waterhall.  This large gothic covered hall stood over the Kraanrei (which has been filled up in the meantime).  Goods that were transported via the water could thus be traded immediately.  The waterhall was demolished in 1791 during the French occupation.  In its place, new buildings were erected, however most of those were destroyed during a fire in 1878.   On that place, the impressive neogothic complex of the Provincial Court was built.  There were also several guildhouses on the Markt such as the one of the tile dekkers ("het Mandeke") and the one of the fishmongers which have become restaurants now.

The statue in honour of Jan Breydel and Pieter de Coninck stands in the middle of the square.  They are known for their contribution to the "Brugse Metten" and the Battle of the Golden Spurs (1302).  In that battle that was fought near Kortrijk, the army of French knights were defeated by the Flemish.

The Markt is an ensemble of beautiful facades of which a number of very typical stepped gables. 

Picture 1: Statue of J. Breydel and P. de Coninck
Picture 2: Coaches on the Markt
Picture 3: Provincial Court

 


getting to Bruges
transport, tours, links,...


 

 

xplorengo.com. Information is provided from the location and various sources, we do not hold any responsibility with regard to information provided by others.  xplorengo is not a travel agency and does not promote or organize trips we therefore hold no responsibility with regard to third parties that promote their services via us.  No information or pictures can be copied or distributed in any way without written permission of xplorengo.com.  All pictures are made and copyrighted by Hendrik De Leyn unless mentioned otherwise [Contact information].