BRUGES (Brugge)
 

  Picture: windmills on the Kruisvest  .


  start  > english > europe > belgium > bruges > monuments > windmills
 

Eating

Sleeping facilities

Going out in Bruges

Fixed events

Beguinage
Belfry and halls
Chapel of the Holy Blood
Court of the Princes
Dunes abbey
Guild houses of Bruges
Hospices of Bruges
Jerusalem church
Nation houses
Our Ladies church
Poortersloge
St-Anna's church
St-Donatian's cathedral
St-John's hospital
St-Saviour's cathedral
Town gates
Town hall
Windmills of Bruges
Complete overview...

Archeology museum
Brangwyn museum
Brewery museum
Chocolate museum
Diamant museum
Folklore museum
Frites museum
Groeninghe museum
Guido Gezelle museum
Halve Maan
Lace museum
Lamps museum
Memling museum
Museum of Fine Arts
Salvador Dali museum
St-Janshuismill
St-John's hospital
Complete overview...


Boterhuis
Boudewijn Seapark
Burg
Canals (Reien)
Coupure
De Garre
Grote Markt
Historium
Huidevettersplein
Jan Van Eyckplein
Lake of Love (Minnewater)
Rozenhoedkaai
Simon Stevinplein
't Zand
Complete overview...

 
The windmills of Bruges

Bruges has a rich history of mills.  When the second walls were erected around the town (end of 13th century); spots were foreseen where mills were built.  Maps of the 16th century show that there were no less than 23 windmills on the townwalls.  Between the Kruispoort and the Dampoort, where the remaining mills are nowadays, there were eight.

Bonne Chiere.  This mill originally comes from the village of Olsene, where it was built in 1844.  The mill was rebuilt at its current location in 1911 as a replacement for the the old Bonne Chieremill that was blown down in a storm in 1903.  It is used as decoration and never served for grinding grain.  It's the mill that is standing closest to the Kruispoort.  Type: wooden standardmill on four brick dice.  Not accessible for the public.

Location: Kruisvest (first mill coming from Kruispoort)

Sint-JanshuysmillThis is the only one of the four mills that has always been on this place.  It was commissioned by the bakers of Bruges and constructed on this place in 1770.  It stands on the place where there used to be another mill of the Saint-John's hospital (which was blown down in 1744).  Type: wooden standardmill on four brick dice.  Accessible for the public and arranged as a museum.

Location: Kruisvest (second mill coming from Kruispoort)

Nieuwe Papegaai Initially called the "Hoge Seinemolen", this mill comes from the village of Beveren-aan-de-IJzer where it was erected in 1790 as an oilmill.  In 1970 it was moved to its current place in Bruges and renamed the "Nieuwe Papegaai" (the "New Parrot").  It can be clearly be recognized by the parrot that is placed on the roof and serves as weather vane.  Type: wooden standardmill on a closed brick base.  Not accessible for the public.

Location: Kruisvest (third mill coming from Kruispoort)

Koeleweimill This mill, which name can also be written as "Coelewey", is the one closest to the Dampoort.  It's a cornmill from the community of Meulebeke where it was known as the "Bosterhoutmolen".  The mill was built in 1765 and broken down in 1980 for the construction of a road.  The town of Bruges bought the pieces and reconstructed the mill on its current place.  The new name refers to one of its predecessors that was called "Coele Wint".  Type: wooden starndardmill on a closed brick base.  Accessible for the public.

Location: Kruisvest (fourth mill coming from Kruispoort; closest one to the Dampoort)

 

Picture 1: Koeleweimill
Picutre 2: De Nieuwe Papegaai
Picture 3: The Bonne Chiere mill
Picture 4: Sint-Janshuysmill

 


getting to Bruges
transport, tours, links,...

Assebroek
Bruges
Dudzele
Koolkerke
Kristus Koning
Lissewege
Male
Sint-Andries
Sint-Jozef
Sint-Kruis
Sint-Michiels
Sint-Pieters
Zeebruges
Zwankendamme


 

xplorengo.com. Information is provided from the location and various sources, we do not hold any responsibility with regard to information provided by others.  xplorengo is not a travel agency and does not promote or organize trips we therefore hold no responsibility with regard to third parties that promote their services via us.  No information or pictures can be copied or distributed in any way without written permission of xplorengo.com.  All pictures are made and copyrighted by Hendrik De Leyn unless mentioned otherwise [Contact information].