Picture: view on the river Meuse and the town of Dinant
» Collegiate church
» Abbey of Leffe
» Town hall
» Porte Saint-Martin
» Cloister of the Capucins
» Monument for the martyrs
» House of Adolphe Sax
» House of the Pataphony
» Museum citadel
» Overview ...
» Cave "la Merveilleuse"
» Rock Bayard
» Meuse river
» Charles de Gaulle bridge
» Overview ...
Overview of the monuments in Dinant
Citadel. The place where the town of Dinant is located has always been a place of strategic importance; therefore it shouldn't be a surprise to know that on the spot of the current citadel, there already used to be a castle in the 11th century. In its present form, the citadel only dates back to 1821, when it was constructed by the Dutch. The citadel can be visited and hosts a museum inside. On top of that, you have a great panoramic view on the town and the Meuse that are located at its feet [more information].
Collegiate church. The collegiate church is unique because of its specific spire in pear shape and has become a symbol for the town of Dinant. She stands practically entirely against the rock formation behind it. This had dramatic consequences in the 13th century when a part of the rock fell down on the building. Inside the Ladon stained glass window, one of the largest in its kind in Europe, is a real eye-catcher. The bust of Saint-Perpetuus is exquisite and is displayed on a prominent spot inside the sanctuary [more information].
The abbey of Leffe. The abbey of Leffe was founded by the abbey of Floreffe and became independent in 1200. At the time of the pillage of Dinant in 1466 by Charles the Bold, the abbey was also severely damaged. During the French occupation in 1796, the entire domain was confiscated and sold publically. It was not until 1903 when clergy again inhabited the premises; this time it were monks that fled from France. After them, Leffe was taken over by the abbey of Tongerloo. Leffe is very well known because of its beers. Since a few years, a "Maison de Leffe" has opened its doors near the center of the town.
Town hall of Dinant. The present town hall is in fact already the fourth one the town had. A predecessor was even built on the brigde over the river Meuse. In 1783, the town council moved into the former palace that the prince-bishop of Liege had built in Dinant. That building burned down in 1914 but was reconstructed in its original state after the war. On the inner square you can find the monument for the victims of both World Wars and a sculpture in glass that is an ode to as well the saxophone as the Meuse river.
Porte Saint-Martin. This is the only remaining town gate of Dinant. The town hall is built adjacent to this gate. An inscription that indicated the year 1637 reminds of the neutral status that the town had during the 30 years war. Freely translated, it says: peace and health is given to those who serve neutrality.
Cloister of the Capucins. This cloister was built in 1613. In 1797, the buildings were confiscated by the French occupier and ended up in the hands of the town administration that wanted to turn the premises into an orphanage. The whole consists of three wings and has single-aisle chapel.
Monument for the martyrs. In August 1914, Dinant was the stage of a real massacre. When the German army in first instance couldn't conquer the town, they succeeded after all in their objective on 22 August. As revenge for the delay in their push and out of fear for partisans under the civilian population, a large number of civilians were shot. In the end there were 674 victims. This tragedy is known in the history as the Dinant massacre ("le massacre de Dinant"). A monument commemorating the martyrs (of both World Wars) has been erected on the square in front of the town hall.
» Getting to Dinant
» Transport, tours, links,...