Doel
 

  Picture: the windmill of Doel from the embankment of the Scheldt with the nuclear plant on the background


  start  > english > europe > belgium > doel > monuments
 

Hooghuis
Windmill
Church
Full overview...

Scheldt banks
Harbour
Nuclear plant
Full overview...


 

 

 

 

 

Monuments in Doel

Hooghuis.  The "Hooghuis" (High House) is the oldest building of the village and was commissioned by the Polder administration and built in 1613-1614. Because the mansion was once property of the Brandt family, it is also linked to the Rubens family. It is a protected monument containing several original features. When the Saeftinghedocks will be constructed, the house is planned to be rebuilt in another location.
Address: Hooghuisstraat 8, Doel

 

Mill.  The windmill of Doel was built in 1613-1614 during the 12-years truce, at the same time that the village was laid out according a geometrical plan. Back then, it was already a stone mill, which makes it one of the oldest surviving stone mills in the country. It was restored in 1958 and served later on as restaurant. When the Saeftinghedocks will be constructed, the mill is planned to be rebuilt in another location.
Address: Scheldemolenstraat 6, Doel

 

Church.  The church of Our Lady Ascension was built between 1851 and 1854. Due to subsidence, it had to be closed temporarily in 1984. After restoration works, the church opened again. The organ is protected as monument.
Address: Hooghuisstraat, Doel

 

 


How to get to Doel
Links

Beveren
Doel
Haasdonk
Kallo
Kieldrecht
Melsele
Prosperpolder
Verrebroek
Vrasene


 
 

xplorengo.com.  No information or pictures can be copied or distributed in any way without written permission of xplorengo.com. 
All pictures are made and copyrighted by Hendrik De Leyn unless mentioned otherwise
[Contact information] [privacy and cookie policy].  

[sitemap]